The spirit-stirring drum, the ear-piercing fife,
The Royal banner, and all quality,
Pride, Pomp, and Circumstance of glorious war!"
~ Shakespeare from Othello, Act 3, Scene 3
I seem to enjoy pomp and circumstance. Ceremonial events, whether a wedding, a graduation, or an inauguration, seem to bring out a sense of properness, order, respect, pageantry, and dignity which I think are often lost in a culture filled with so much of a go-go-go attitude. Even simple events like a family meal at the dinner table or wearing your Sunday best seem to have been whisked by the wayside. I remember my own college graduation and enjoyed the scene as we all clad in our robes marched behind the resounding sounds of the bagged pipe player.
A quick side note, I think being led in by a bagged piper was awesome. The music created seems to be a perfect entrance for those graduates reflecting upon their time in college as well as upon the exciting new places they will be going upon commencement
The picture of graduation will not be something I will forget. I don't remember much of what was said during the various speeches, but I do have etched in my mind the processional across campus in the sunshine. The colors of the flowers & grass, and the colored doctoral robes of the professors & banners of the different schools seem to have been so bright and vivid, as if they were signaling the dawn of a new period of our lives. Even as almost 4 years have passed since that day in May, its beauty and grace still speak to me. We should take more time to remember the pomp and circumstance of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment