Saturday, January 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Nolan Ryan

62 years young. Nolan Ryan had already pitched in the Majors 20 years when he became my favorite baseball player. Watching him pitch at the end of his career from the late 80's into the 90's was a real treat. I remember staying up late to watch him pitch his 7th and final no-hitter against the Toronto Blue Jays. I had the opportunity to see him pitch once in person against the Indians at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. I remember being a little jealous of the kid seated down next to the bullpen who Ryan tossed his warm up ball too. Although I was not the one who caught that baseball and although Ryan did not pitch particularly well that game, it was a thrill nonetheless to see him pitch. I always loved reading about how hard he worked to make himself a better pitcher, how he showed no fear on the mound, how he is a down to earth guy and was just going to give it all he had. That is why I really like this picture with a blood stained jersey and blood dripping from a lip that just took a line drive shot to it. He did not want taken out of the game. He was ready to get right back to work. Don't take me out, I am ready to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment