Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK in Canton

"Only the mediocre man is always at his best" ~ W. Somerset Maugham


Today the local radio station played three of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speeches to celebrate the day named in his honor. Two were widely known speeches: "I have a dream" and "I've been to the Mountain top" given the night before he was killed. The third one played was one he gave in Canton in March 1964. It was interesting to hear that MLK spoke right here in Canton (I did not know that). The speeches themselves were still very stirring 40+ years later. As I have been involved in Toastmasters the past few months, I have become more keen in listening to public speaking, and what really makes one come across well. MLK's passion and conviction could be heard through every word he shared and makes me want to be able to have half that ability when I need to speak myself. Both in getting my point across so infaticlly and more importantly being able to be used as vessel for the Lord bringing much change to an individual, a community, and a nation.


No comments:

Post a Comment