I just got done watching Billy Corben's 30 for 30 doc. entitled "The U" about the University of Miami's football team from 1983-1991. That doc. was very, very well done. I think it really reflect how Miami's football team was on and off the field, the good and the bad. I loved seeing Bernie Kosar in it. I do wish they would have spent a few minutes talking about the graduations rates (which in the one newspaper clip they showed was 73%). It seemed like the film address more of the negative parts of the program, and rightly so, but even in the midst of controversy and often cockiness, I think it would have been good to show that many of these players were actually graduating from college.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
ESPN 30 for 30
ESPN began a great documentary series back in October entitled 30 for 30, to celebrate ESPN's 30th anniversary. They had some of the best filmmakers in the country put together 30 film documentaries to chronicle the last 30 years of sports. They aren't necessarily the 30 biggest stories, but 30 stories by people who are passionate about the subject and affected by it. And 30 stories that may need to be remembered and retold for the importance they played, especially to this generation who may be unaware of them.
I just got done watching Billy Corben's 30 for 30 doc. entitled "The U" about the University of Miami's football team from 1983-1991. That doc. was very, very well done. I think it really reflect how Miami's football team was on and off the field, the good and the bad. I loved seeing Bernie Kosar in it. I do wish they would have spent a few minutes talking about the graduations rates (which in the one newspaper clip they showed was 73%). It seemed like the film address more of the negative parts of the program, and rightly so, but even in the midst of controversy and often cockiness, I think it would have been good to show that many of these players were actually graduating from college.
I just got done watching Billy Corben's 30 for 30 doc. entitled "The U" about the University of Miami's football team from 1983-1991. That doc. was very, very well done. I think it really reflect how Miami's football team was on and off the field, the good and the bad. I loved seeing Bernie Kosar in it. I do wish they would have spent a few minutes talking about the graduations rates (which in the one newspaper clip they showed was 73%). It seemed like the film address more of the negative parts of the program, and rightly so, but even in the midst of controversy and often cockiness, I think it would have been good to show that many of these players were actually graduating from college.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Aaron, do you know if I can watch the full length documentaries on the ESPN website that you posted? I tried one time, and all I could get were trailers for them. I've missed a few of them over the duration, so it would be nice to catch up on them.
ReplyDeleteNo I don't think you can watch the films in their entirety online. I think they have a listing of all the show times on the web site. The next new documentary won't be show until March, so I would imagine they will be replaying the old ones over the next few months. Which one have you liked the best so far? I think mine would be a toss up between the USFL and the Miami one. They all have been really good though.
ReplyDeleteI've gotten to see the one about the Baltimore Colts band, the USFL, and most of the U. Out of those, I liked them all. They each told a story that touched me in a certain way. These are so in-depth in some areas that watching them more than once seems necessary to pick up on all the minute details. So I hope you're right, I hope they do replay these some on TV.
ReplyDeleteBill,
ReplyDeleteYou can buy some of them on iTunes, but some of the most recent films aren't there yet. I thought the USFL film was very well done, but the U is probably my favorite.