
With Wimbledon commencing this week, it brings back good memories of my grandpa, fondly known to my brothers and I as Poppy. Poppy really enjoyed Tennis and I can remember watching it and playing it with him. I remember watching players like Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Michael Chang, Steffi Graff, Jennifer Capriati, Monica Seles and the alike compete. Poppy would tell us about the players both past and present and what he liked about each of their respective games. I remember going out to the courts at the high school where he lived and hitting the balls around with him. I was always happy to be able to share the enjoyment of tennis with him. I remember after he passed away, we came across some old newspaper clippings at my grandparent's house about Poppy organizing and running tennis tournaments for the city back in the forties and fifties. It was cool to see that and how his enjoyment of tennis spanned so many years, playing it even into his late 80's. I know he would have loved to go to Wimbledon and seen tennis played at its highest level. I would really like to make that trip across the pond someday to see it for myself and for my grandpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment