I think in another life I would have been a boxer. I just got done seeing The Fighter tonight (which is worth seeing by the way) and it makes me want to getting into a boxing workout routine. I would imagine it makes many viewers fantasize about being a boxer, whether it's getting into the ring or just hitting the speed bag. I'm not looking to get in the ring or anything (don't think my face could take it), but it seems like boxing training is such a great workout. I really admire the self-discipline of some fighters who are really trying to be the best and put everything into there endeavors. I remember watching The Contender season 3 on ESPN and being inspired by one contestant's, Sam Soliman, devotion to his craft and the joy he received out of it. Not only did he work out ridiculously hard, it was cool to see him helping and sharing pointers with one of the younger contestants on the show on how to train and how much one needs to put into training. I wonder at times if I'd have that discipline to do a 6, or 8, or 12 week training session, but I definitely would like to try. Maybe once my shoulder is in the condition to be able to aggressively train, then I could do just that. It's interesting though in boxing that one needs to be self-disciplined and self-motivated, but at the same time is encourage, pushed, and kicked in the butt at times by a trainer, sparring partners, or workout partners. Boxing is an individualized sport, but often one has a team around him to prepare and train. Almost like 2 sides of the same coin. There always seems to be a camaraderie amongst boxers and those that train together in a gym. And I think this seems to cause that each passing "generation" so to speak in the gym, want to pass on some knowledge to those coming up, to help mold youngsters, and pass on something that has been meaningful to them.
Monday, December 27, 2010
Float like a Butterfly...
I think in another life I would have been a boxer. I just got done seeing The Fighter tonight (which is worth seeing by the way) and it makes me want to getting into a boxing workout routine. I would imagine it makes many viewers fantasize about being a boxer, whether it's getting into the ring or just hitting the speed bag. I'm not looking to get in the ring or anything (don't think my face could take it), but it seems like boxing training is such a great workout. I really admire the self-discipline of some fighters who are really trying to be the best and put everything into there endeavors. I remember watching The Contender season 3 on ESPN and being inspired by one contestant's, Sam Soliman, devotion to his craft and the joy he received out of it. Not only did he work out ridiculously hard, it was cool to see him helping and sharing pointers with one of the younger contestants on the show on how to train and how much one needs to put into training. I wonder at times if I'd have that discipline to do a 6, or 8, or 12 week training session, but I definitely would like to try. Maybe once my shoulder is in the condition to be able to aggressively train, then I could do just that. It's interesting though in boxing that one needs to be self-disciplined and self-motivated, but at the same time is encourage, pushed, and kicked in the butt at times by a trainer, sparring partners, or workout partners. Boxing is an individualized sport, but often one has a team around him to prepare and train. Almost like 2 sides of the same coin. There always seems to be a camaraderie amongst boxers and those that train together in a gym. And I think this seems to cause that each passing "generation" so to speak in the gym, want to pass on some knowledge to those coming up, to help mold youngsters, and pass on something that has been meaningful to them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment