One more post in reference to St. Louis. Stan "The Man" Musial. I think often when baseball fans are asked who the greatest outfielders have been in professional baseball, the names that quickly come to mind are Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Ted Williams, and Joe Dimaggio, and to a lesser extent Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente. But Stan Musial's name is not always among those, and it should be. Maybe it was because he did not play on the east coast. During his career St. Louis was one of the western most cities with a team. Now, one can make a statistical argument for all these players I am sure, but I am not going to do that now. Just to note though, Stan Musial was/is at the top of pretty much every hitting statistical category. See his stats here and here. I just wanted to give Stan Musial his due as Joe Posnanski did in the Kansas City Star article and on his blog. Both great reads.
“Here stands baseball's perfect warrior. Here stands baseball's perfect knight.”
~ Ford Frick (former NL president) on Musial

No comments:
Post a Comment